National Diabetes Prevention
Change Your Lifestyle. Change Your Life.
There are more than 29 million Americans currently living with diabetes. Another 86 million Americans are living with prediabetes, and most of them do not know it. Without weight loss or moderate physical activity, many people with prediabetes will develop type 2 diabetes within 3 years. Type 2 diabetes is a serious condition that can lead to health issues such as heart attack; stroke; blindness; kidney failure; or loss of toes, feet, or legs.
The Imperative’s Change Your Lifestyle. Change Your Life. lifestyle change intervention is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program, led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Through this program, we are helping Black women and Latinas make lasting lifestyle changes to reduce their risk of type 2 diabetes and its related complications. Through strategies such as goal setting, food and activity tracking, weight monitoring and self management, we are able to influence positive health behaviors that impact the program participants and their families.
The Imperative has a strong network of community partners that bring the program to states with high rates of diabetes and prediabetes.
- Black Women for Wellness, Los Angeles, CA – http://www.bwwla.org/
- Indiana Minority Health Coalition, Indianapolis, IN – http://www.imhc.org/
- The Community Wellness Project, St. Louis, MO – http://www.cwpstl.org
- If you have been diagnosed with prediabetes or believe you may be at risk for developing the disease take charge of your health. Learn more about the program and how you can enroll. Change Your Lifestyle. Change Your Life. can help you develop a healthier lifestyle and work with you to reduce the risks this condition can pose to your health.
- AM I AT RISK? Take the CDC Prediabetes Screening Test
- For more information on the Imperative’s participation in the CDC National Diabetes Prevention Program, contact Angela Ford, Project Manager, at 202-548-4000, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each of our partner organizations is working with local residents, area employers, community and faith-based organizations, insurers, health-care providers and other local groups to offer the yearlong lifestyle intervention program.
ADA 2014 – National Diabetes Report – June 2014
Diabetes Info Graphics – June 2014
National Diabetes Report
Prediabetes Info Graphic
AM I AT RISK? Take the CDC Prediabetes Screening Test
Additional information resources on this preventable and Manageable Disease
Employer Leave-Behind – Adobe Acrobat is needed to open the Document.
Black Women Health Imperative www.bwhi.org